"THIS WEEK IN THE AFL"
Weeks 6, 7 and 8 - All on One DVD!
(1 Hour, 17 Minutes, Color)
Three back-to-back 1968 AFL "Week in Review" films are now together and in color on this 77-minute DVD from Rare Sportsfilms. Here are the games and players you'll see:
Broncos vs Jets at Shea Stadium, New York - Two Bronco TD's by HB Fran Lynch and a 70-yd TD bomb, Steve Tensi to Eric Crabtree is enough to upset the Jets. New York outgains Denver 460 yards to 219, but Joe Namath throws five interceptions and this is simply too much to overcome, as Broncos hold on to beat Jets 21-13.
- Chiefs vs Bengals at old Municipal Stadium, K.C. - A defensive struggle (3-0 Chiefs at halftime) stays close thru late third quarter when Jan Stenerud's 2nd. FG lifts Chiefs back in front, 6-3. A Robert Holmes 4th quarter TD run finalizes a 13-3 Kansas City win over baby Bengals.
- Oilers vs Boston Patriots at Fenway Park - Another low-scoring, 1 TD game! Outstanding Oiler pass rush does not allow Pats to cross midfield until the 4th quarter, and Boston gets only two first downs the entire first half! Only one TD is scored all day - by backup Oiler QB Bob Davis on a 13-yard scramble. This and three Houston FG's are the only scoring in the game, as Houston wins 16-0. Pat's had not been shut out in their past 33 games!
- Bills vs Dolphins at The Orange Bowl - Bills score first on 51-yd FG by Bruce Alford, but Jim Kiick's 1-yd TD plunge gives Miami 7-3 lead. Another Alford FG brings score to 7-6 at the half. A late 4th quarter 1-yd TD run by Stan Mitchell, puts Dolphs in driver's seat 14-6 with little time left. But third Bills QB Dan Darragh's passing moves ball to Miami 3-yd line with 23-seconds left. Bill's score TD, Darragh to rookie Gary McDermott (14-12), then go for two. Bill's flanker Ed Rutkowski tosses complete pass to McDermott to clinch a 14-14 tie! What a finish!
- Chargers vs Raiders at Oakland Coliseum - When FB Gene Foster scores short-yardage TD in first quarter, he extends Charger lead to 10-0. In the second period, George Atkinson runs back Charger punt 80 yards and Raiders are on the board, still trailing, 10-7. But a John Hadl to Lance Alworth 38-yd TD pass extends Charger lead to 17-7. This is when Daryle Lamonica drives the Raiders 80-yards in 40 seconds right before the half to score what will be their final TD of the day, with the Chargers still leading 17-14 at intermission. San Diego scores no more TD's either, however Charger defense holds favored Raiders to only one first down the rest of the game and S.D. wins, 23-14!
- Jets vs Oilers at The Astrodome - A safety and a Joe Namath TD plunge, plus two-point conversion give Jets 10-0 halftime lead. A Bob Davis injury brings in backup veteran Don Trull at QB for Oilers in the second half with the Jets now leading 13-0. Trull sparks the lethargic Houston offense, and tosses a 10-yard TD pass to Alvin Reed, cutting the Jets lead to 13-7. Soon after, Trull strikes again, with a touchdown pass to Jim Beirne, putting the Oilers ahead 14-13! But then in the waning moments of the game, Namath drives the Jets, mostly with running plays, to the winning TD, New York wins a thriller, 20-14!
- Dolphins vs Bengals at Nippert Stadium - Dolphins tough defense shuts out Bengals in first half, while FG and a Bob Griese to Karl Noonan TD pass provides a 10-0 lead. Bengals later trap Griese in the end zone for a safety and halftime score is 10-2. Bengals awaken in 2nd half, however and a Dewey Warren to Essex Johnson TD pass and Paul Robinson's TD run give Cincy a 16-10 lead. But then, Miami scores two TD's, the first on a Griese 20-yd pass to Noonan and then on a 31-yd TD pass to Stan Mitchell, putting the Dolphins ahead, 24-16. The Bengals need 8 points to tie and a 45-yd pass, Warren to Bob Trumpy, is good for a touchdown, but the two-point conversion fails as Dolphins take exciting 24-22 win!
- Chargers vs Broncos at San Diego - A total of 79 points is scored in this one! Bronco QB Marlin Briscoe has fine day with 68 yards rushing (twice that of any teammate), completes 17 of 30 passes, throws for three TD's, and the Broncos total 476 yards of offense for the day! But the Chargers still win in a romp, 55-24. QB John Hadl passes for 293 yards in the first half alone, and San Diego gains an additional 211 on the ground, Dick Post the leader with 121. The defense grabs three interceptions and Hadl throws four TD passes before giving way to backup QB John Brittenum! Jimmy Jones, Bill Van Huesen, Joe Beauchamp, Lance Alworth, Gary Garrison, Jacque MacKinnon and Post are all shown scoring in this game!
- Patriots vs Bills at Fenway Park - A pair of first half FG's by both Gino Cappelletti and Bruce Alford have the score knotted, 6-6 at halftime. But in the second half, 17 unanswered Patriot points doom Buffalo. It starts with the Nick Buoniconti Interception Show! The first two of his three grabs lead directly to a pair of Mike Taliaferro to Jim Whalen touchdown passes, as Boston beats Buffalo, 23-6.
- Chiefs vs Raiders at Municipal Stadium, K.C. - Kansas City's new-look offense manifests itself with almost 300 yards rushing as Lenny Dawson throws only three passes all day. The Chiefs score on a short run by Wendell Hayes and the Chiefs lead, 7-0. The Kansas City defense holds Oakland to only four first downs in the first half, while another TD by Robert Holmes and a FG have Chiefs in front, 17-0 at intermission. Another rushing TD by Holmes in the third quarter gives the Chiefs a nice 24-0 lead at that point. But toward the end of the third period, the game changes and the Raiders finally begin to assert themselves when Daryle Lamonica heaves a 55-yd TD pass to Billy Cannon. The Oakland defense also stiffens, holding the Chiefs scoreless the rest of the game, while also kicking a FG. But the Raiders have dug themselves into too big a hole, and even with better play, can't overcome the deficit, losing 24-10.
- Jets vs Patriots at Shea Stadium - All hopes for a Boston Eastern title disappeared with this game. QB Mike Taliaferro was dropped for losses seven times for 50 yards and throws 5 interceptions. Despite this, the Pats only trail 10-0 at halftime. All six Jet TD's are scored on the ground: Snell (2), Babe Parilli and Billy Joe's three, as Billy ties a Jets club record for points scored in a game with 18. Eventually, Taliaferro is replaced by QB Tom Sherman and he throws TD passes to both Bob Scarpitto and Jim Whalen, making the final score 48-14. Whalen's 87-yard grab sets a Boston club record for the longest scoring pass in Pat's history!
- Oilers vs Bills at War Memorial Stadium - Houston holds Bills to 50 total yards rushing and only 113 yards total offense in this 30-7 victory. On their first possession, Oilers score on a 2-yard run by Woody Campbell. Wayne Walker's 39-yd FG makes it 10-0. Bill's Rookie QB Kay Stevenson tosses his first ever professional TD pass, a 36-yard throw to Monte Ledbetter, making the score 10-7 at halftime. Walker's 2nd FG and a TD pass to Alvin Reed build the score to 20-7 after three quarters. Another Trull to Reed TD pass and Walker's third FG finish the scoring.
- Raiders vs Bengals at Oakland Coliseum - A field goal and Bengal rookie Paul Robinson's 87-yard TD run are the only points given up all day by the Oakland Raiders. Meanwhile rookie Charlie Smith picks up 70 yards in 8 carries and Daryle Lamonica's TD throw to Fred Biletnikoff gets Raiders off and running in this 31-10 win over Cincinnati. Lamonica is 17 of 31 passing with five completions to split end Warren Wells, who's by now one of the game's best.
- Broncos vs Dolphins at Mile High Stadium - In this segment, narrator Charlie Jones gives a humorous description of how Bronco's backup QB Marlin Briscoe ("Marlin The Magician") eventually wins the game for Denver. There is no score in the game with only a minute left in the first half. Bob Griese begins a 1-minute passing drill with four passes - the last a 5-yd TD pass to Karl Noonan and Miami leads 7-0. To open the second half, the Dolphins score again on a Denver fumble, Larry Csonka running the ball in from the 15, and Miami now has a 14-0 lead. At this point, rookie Marlin "The Magician" Briscoe is sent in off the bench and suddenly the game changes. Known as more of a runner, not a passer, Merlin magically runs the ball in from the 12 and the Broncos now trail by only one touchdown, 14-7. On the kickoff, the Dolphins fumble the ball away to the Broncos and again Briscoe works his magic. From the Miami 28, "The Magician" this time completes a pass to Eric Crabtree on the 4-yd line! Then, Floyd Little runs the ball in for the tying score at 14-14! Late 4th quarter and the score is still tied. A TD will win the game, but how will he do it? From the 10-yard line with 2 minutes left, "The Magician" sees the Miami defense open in the middle and scoots right through the opening to score the winning TD himself! Unreal! Broncos win, 21-14!
- Chiefs vs Chargers at Municipal Stadium, K.C. - Before this game, three of the best "small men" in the AFL are recognized: San Diego's leading rusher Dick Post, 177-lb Lance Alworth who has 169 receiving yards in this game on only 6 receptions, and Chief's leading rusher Mike Garrett, who has almost 100 yards receiving and another 100 on the ground today. The first score of the game is a 6-yard TD run by rookie Robert Holmes, as Chiefs take the lead 7-0. Despite John Hadl throwing three interceptions in the first three quarters (two to Johnny Robinson), the Chargers are only trailing by 4 points, 17-13 as the final period begins. A Hadl to Willie Frazier TD pass is the final go-ahead score for the Chargers and puts the pressure on the Chiefs. When Garrett scores from the 15, the score changes to Chiefs 24-Chargers 20. A Chiefs FG soon raises the margin to seven, 27-20. Hadl drives the Chargers down the field once again, however his 4th interception is gathered in by Jim Kearney, clinching the game for Kansas City.
To get your own 77-minute DVD covering weeks 6 thru 8 of the '68 AFL season, send only $29.95 plus $3.50 shipping
(Illinois residents must add $2.30 state sales tax) to: Add only $10 extra for BLU-RAY!
"RARE SPORTSFILMS NET"
1126 Tennyson Lane
Naperville, Illinois 60540