The Cleveland Browns ran neck and neck with the New York Giants in first place for the first eight weeks of the season until bad luck and a bad day did them in and relegated them to a second place finish for 1959. On the last two weekends in November, they lost a pair of 21-20 heartbreakers to the Steelers and 49’ers at home, then got blown out at Yankee Stadium vs the Giants to end a disappointing year.
This rare B & W film, presented by Sohio and now on DVD, is narrated by the old voice of the Browns Ken Coleman, and shows highlights from every game of the 1959 Browns season. You’ll see nice closeups of many Browns stars before the games during pre-game warm-ups: Starting QB Milt Plum, Lou Groza, Jim Brown, Paul Wiggin, Art Hunter, Ed Modzelewski, Leroy Bolden, Bobby Mitchell, Frank Clarke, Ray Renfro, Jim Ray Smith, Warren Lahr, Walt Michaels, Billy Howton, Dave Lloyd, Bernie Parrish, Jim Shofner, Ken Konz, Galen Fiss, Vince Costello, Bob Gain and Floyd Peters. Other Browns shown in action throughout the film will also bring back nostalgic memories: Jim Ninowski, Junior Wren, Sid Youngelman, Chuck Noll, Gene Hickerson, Mike McCormick and Preston Carpenter. Not only will you see many games played at old Municipal Stadium, but you'll also follow the Browns on the road to other old ballparks which were the homes of NFL teams over 50 years ago: Forbes Field, Yankee Stadium, old Busch Stadium, Tiger Stadium and Griffith Stadium and Franklin Field.
The Browns season schedule and scores of all games are shown below:
CLEVELAND BROWNS SCHEDULE
Won 7, Lost 5
- Sept 15 Browns 7, Steelers 17 at Forbes Field, Pittsburgh.
- Sept 22 Browns 34, Cardinals 7 at Soldier Field, Chicago.
- Sept 29 Browns 6, Giants 10 at Municipal Stadium, Cleveland.
- Oct. 5 Browns 17, Cardinals 7 at Municipal Stadium.
- Oct. 13 Browns 34, Redskins 7 at Municipal Stadium, Cleveland
- Oct. 20 Browns 38, Colts 31 at Memorial Stadium, Baltimore.
- Oct. 27 Browns 28, Eagles 7 at Municipal Stadium, Cleveland.
- Nov. 3 Browns 31, Redskins 17 at Griffith Stadium, Washington.
- Nov. 17 Browns 20, Steelers 21 at Municipal Stadium, Cleveland.
- Nov. 24 Browns 20, 49’ers 21 at Municipal Stadium, Cleveland.
- Dec. 1 Browns 7, Giants 48 at Yankee Stadium, New York.
- Dec. 15 Browns 28, Eagles 21 at Franklin Field, Philadelphia.
NFL HIGHLIGHTS OF THE YEAR
Also on this DVD is the 1959 NFL Highlight film, narrated by TV sportscaster Jim Leaming. Each team in the NFL is covered in order of the final standings, from bottom to top. Shown is a re-cap of each team’s BEST game of the season. Also a star player is shown up close for each team. Below is a listing of the games and players shown, in order:
|W - L - T
||at Soldier Field, Chicago (John David Crow)
||at County Stadium, Milwaukee (Del Shofner)
||at Griffith Stadium, Washington (Bill Anderson)
|3 8 1
||at Briggs Stadium, Detroit (Nick Pietrosante)
|6 5 1
||at Municipal Stadium, Cleveland (Tom Tracy)
||at Lambeau Field, Green Bay (Paul Hornung)
||at Memorial Stadium, Baltimore (Jim Brown)
||at Municipal Stadium, Cleveland (J.D. Smith)
||at Franklin Field,Phila. (Tommy McDonald)
||at Memorial Stadium, Baltimore (Harlon Hill)
||at Yankee Stadium, NY (Charlie Conerly)
||at Kezar Stadium, SF (Johnny Unitas)
To get these rare films, now both on one 61-minute B & W DVD, send $29.95 + $4 S & H to:
(Illinois residents must add $2.00 sales tax).
"RARE SPORTSFILMS N"
1126 Tennyson Lane
Naperville, IL 60540