“THIS WEEK IN THE AFL”
AFL WEEK 11 AFL WEEK 12
Both On One DVD!
(54 Minutes, Color)
Two back-to-back 1968 AFL “Week In Review” films are now together and in color on one 54-minute DVD from Rare Sportsfilms! Shown are all the highlights of weeks 11 and 12 of the 1968 season, including rare, actual TV broadcast footage from the infamous “Heidi” game! Here are the AFL games of November 17 and November 24, along with the big plays and players you'll see:
- The Orange Bowl – Baby Bengals visit young Dolphins and come away with the last of the three victories of their first season! Outstanding rookie Paul Robinson scores three TD’s and Bob Trumpy and Warren McVea also score on TD passes from Sam Wyche and John Stofa, as Cincy wins 38-21. Stan Mitchell, subbing for injured Larry Csonka, snags two TD passes from Bob Griese. Karl Noonan’s TD catch accounts for other Miami score. Also shown are Ron Lamb and Fletcher Smith.
- War Memorial Stadium – Two John Hadl to Jacque MacKinnon TD passes are enough to bury punchless Bills in a 21-6 Buffalo mud bath, while kicker Bruce Alfred’s two FGs score Buffalo’s only points. Dick Post’s short TD run accounts for other Charger score. Also shown are John Pitts and Kenny Graham.
- The Astrodome – Pete Beathard’s two TD runs and Mack Haik’s two TD receptions help Oilers top Broncos, 38-17. Larry Carwell’s interception return and a FG by Wayne Walker complete Houston point total. Bobby Howfield’s foot provides Denver’s first three points, and Floyd Little’s KO return gives Broncos first TD. Later, Marlin Briscoe tosses TD pass to Al Denson. Woody Campbell, Jim Norton, Steve Tensi, Eric Crabtree and Mike Haffner also shown in action.
- Municipal Stadium, K.C. – Len Dawson throws three long TD bombs (one each to Frank Pitts, Gloster Richardson and Mike Garrett) and a 76-yd punt return by Goldie Sellers is enough to handily beat the Boston Patriots 31-17! Pats QB Tom Sherman also tosses two scoring passes to rookie R.C. Gamble and Aaron Marsh. Also shown: Jim Kearney and Jerry Mays.
- Oakland Coliseum – With two minutes remaining, the Jets leading 32-29 and NBC set to show a dramatization of “Heidi” at the top of the hour, the network switched from the game to the story of the Swiss mountain girl. (Little did NBC know that the Raiders were about to score 14 points in 9 seconds to win the game!) Here on film, we not only show what most fans missed, but also the end of the actual NBC broadcast not shown! Daryle Lamonica finds rookie Charlie Smith for the winning touchdown in one of the best games of the year – certainly one of the most controversial! Then, when the Jets fumble the kickoff, Preston Ridlehuber falls on the ball in the end zone to make the final score Raiders 43, Jets 32! Other Raiders shown: Fred Biletnikoff, Billy Cannon, Gene Upshaw, Ben Davidson, George Atkinson, Jim Otto and Mike Eischeid. Jets seen in action include Jim Turner, Joe Namath, Don Maynard, Matt Snell, George Sauer, Ralph Baker, Emerson Boozer, Mike D’Amato, Earl Christy and even Babe Parilli!
- Mile High Stadium – Bruce Alford’s FG with only 30 seconds remaining seemingly gives the Bills a great come from behind victory, 32-31 over Denver. However, never say die Broncos come back to win 34-32 on Bobby Howfield’s kick with only 7 seconds left! Even before all this, it’s a wild game – Marlin Briscoe throws four TD passes (Brendan McCarthy, Eric Crabtree, Floyd Little and Al Denson). Bills’ scoring is more unorthodox, as Ed Rutkowski, Gary McDermott, Booker Edgerson, Howard Kindig and George Saimes are all involved.
- Fenway Park – Three TD passes by Bob Griese, two to Karl Noonan and one to Larry Csonka, a Dick Anderson interception return and two FG’s by Jim Keyes lead Dolphins past Patriots at Boston, 34-10. Pat score first 10 points on a Geno Cappelletti FG and a 60-yard touchdown toss from QB Tom Sherman to Aaron Marsh.
- Nippert Stadium, Cincinnati – Soon to be champion Raiders are too much for young Bangals, as rookie Charlie Smith rushes for two TDs and Daryle Lamonica throws to Hewritt Dixon for another during this 34-0 shutout. Veteran kicker-QB George Blanda adds two FGs and spells Lamonica at the end, even throwing a TD pass to Billy Cannon! Other Raiders Warren Wells, Gene Upshaw and Warren Powers plus Bengals Dewey Warren and Paul Robinson are shown.
- San Diego Stadium – The big game of the week is New York at San Diego, and the Jets upset the Chargers, 37-15 mostly because of Charger mistakes and John Hadl’s interceptions. Chargers only scores come on Speedy Duncan’s punt return for a TD and a Hadl to MacKinnon TD pass. Joe Namath throws two TD passes (Don Maynard and Bill Mathis), and Mathis and Matt Snell also each run for a score. Jim Turner kicks three FGs, setting a new AFL season FG record!
(Chiefs and Oilers had byes this week)
To get your own DVD of this rare AFL footage, send $29.95 plus $4.00 shipping and handling to:
(Illinois residents must add $2.00 state sales tax)
“RARE SPORTSFILMS FL”
1126 Tennyson Lane
Naperville, IL 60540