"THIS WEEK IN THE AFL"
Weeks 13, 14 and 15 - All on One DVD!
(1 Hour, 16 Minutes, Color)
Three back-to-back 1968 AFL "Week in Review" films are now together and in color on this 76-minute DVD from Rare Sportsfilms. See all the highlights of the last three weeks of the 1968 AFL season! Here are the games and players you'll see:
- Chiefs vs Oilers at Municipal Stadium, Kansas City - A pair of Len Dawson TD passes to Frank Pitts and one to Mike Garrett doom Oilers 24-10, and give deserving New York Jets the AFL Eastern Championship for '68. Wayne Walker FG and a long TD pass from Pete Beathard to Jim Beirne are the lone Houston scores.
- Jets vs Dolphins at Shea Stadium - Don Maynard's 3 TD catches, two from Joe Namath and one from Babe Parilli, help him pass Raymond Berry's NFL record for receiving yards. Pete Lammons and Bake Turner also make TD receptions as Jets late scoring blitz overwhelms young Dolphins 35-17. Kiick and Gene Milton score TD's for Miami.
- Patriots vs Bengals at Fenway Park - A first qtr. safety, Gino Cappelletti's FG, a Jim Nance TD run and rookie QB Tom Sherman's TD passes to Cappelletti and Jim Whalen build nice 26-0 Patriot lead by halftime. Cincy answers with a John Stofa to Estes Banks TD pass, but another Sherman to Whalen TD pass puts Cincinnati away 33-14.
- Chargers vs Broncos at Mile High Stadium - Chargers have late 2nd qtr. 31-3 lead, but by halftime, Marlin Briscoe has tossed TD passes to both Eric Crabtree and Brendan McCarthy and Chargers have not scored since. To start the second half, a Crabtree run results in another TD, but from there on Broncos do not score and John Hadl resumes throwing TD passes (to Gary Garrison and Lance Alworth). Altogether, Alworth catches four Hadl TD passes and sets a new AFL one-game scoring record, as Chargers keep Western title hopes alive with impressive 47-23 win!
- Raiders vs Bills at Oakland Coliseum - Lowly 1-10-1 Bills play great game vs heavily favored Raiders and 4th string QB Ed Rutkowski outplays Daryle Lamonica in every statistical category. Meanwhile Lamonica is betrayed by dropped balls and a lethargic ballclub, as Bills hold Oakland to a 3-3 tie at halftime! In the second half, George Atkinson makes two interceptions and runs one for a TD and 13-3 Oakland lead. But Bills retaliate when Max Anderson scores on a 5-yd TD run in the 3rd. quarter. In the 4th quarter, good runs by Gary McDermott and Max Anderson have the ball at the Oakland 3-yard line with about 3 minutes to play. But alas - QB Rutkowski fumbles on a keeper, the ball is recovered by Oakland and the game is essentially over with the Raiders winning 13-10.
- Jets vs Bengals at Shea Stadium - The newly-crowned Eastern Champion Jets do win this game, but there are some interesting happenings along the way. Bill Peterson blocks a New York punt and takes it all the way to the Jets 2-yd line. But in 4 downs, Bengals can't score! Interesting also that veteran backup Jets QB Babe Parilli tries a sneak on his own two-yd line and fumbles into the end zone where DE Jim Griffin falls on it for Bengals. The Bengals Al Beauchamp grabs the game's only INT, setting up Paul Robinson's short TD run, and a place in the record books as only the third AFL rookie to rush for over 1,000 yards in a season! Joe Namath's pass protection is excellent and helps him toss two TD passes (to George Sauer and Bake Turner) in the 27-14 New York win.
- Dolphins vs Patriots at The Orange Bowl - Dolphins dominate and Pat's rookie QB Tom Sherman is ineffective with first half net passing of only 3 feet! Boston's only TD of game is a 35-yd run by Jim Nance. Meanwhile Jim Milton's 34-yd reverse sets up a Bob Griese TD pass to Karl Noonan. Boston fumbles away the kickoff, so an 18-yd pass to Jim Kiick and later a 7-yd TD pass to Doug Moreau puts Pats farther behind. Again, Boston fumbles away the next kickoff, Griese passes 24 yards to Moreau, then Larry Csonka's 2nd TD run makes the score 28-7 at halftime. Ten more Dolphin points are scored in the second half settling the final score at 38-7. Even so, it's the only Dolphin win at home for the entire year in 1968!
- Oilers vs Bills at The Astrodome - Two FG's by Bruce Alford give Buffalo a brief 6-0 lead to start the game, but Woody Campbell's second quarter 1-yd TD plunge puts Houston ahead 7-6 by halftime. After that, the game is one-sided, as the Houston defense holds Bills to only 89 yards of total offense all day! Meanwhile, Oilers score 28 more 2nd half points for an easy 35-6 win. Don Trull throws TD passes to both Alvin Reed and Miller Farr, who had earlier scored on a tipped 52-YD interception!
- Raiders vs Broncos at Oakland Coliseum - After two consecutive weeks of poor play against inferior teams, the Raiders were supposed to get back to form at home in the Coliseum. They did, eventually. But Marlin Briscoe's 1st quarter TD bomb to Al Denson puts Denver on the scoreboard first. Then, after a Charlie Greer interception and 10-yd TD run by Floyd Little, Broncos go ahead again 14-7. Charlie Smith's electric 65-yard TD sprint off a simple off-tackle slant is shown also. After a Warren Wells TD catch makes the score 30-20 Oakland, another TD pass reception by Al Denson brings Denver closer at 30-27 early 4th quarter. On his final drive, Briscoe has Denver on the Raider 45-yard line when a Dave Grayson interception and 54-yard runback essentially ends the game with Oakland winning, 33-27. Floyd Little has 150+ yard day.
- Chiefs vs Chargers at San Diego Stadium - Charger QB John Hadl is plagued by interceptions all day. Goldie Sellers picks off the first one and a Len Dawson TD pass to Gloster Richardson near the end of the 1st quarter makes the score 7-3 Chiefs. On the Chargers next offensive play, Hadl is intercepted by Jim Kearney, and a Dawson to Mike Garrett 74 yd-TD pass near the end of the 2nd. quarter brings the score to 14-3. Next possession, Hadl is again picked off by Sellers and Dawson tosses a 68-yd TD bomb to Frank Pitts and the score climbs to 21-3. Late first half, Johnny Robinson intercepts Hadl and the Chiefs have stopped four consecutive Charger drives with interceptions! The Chiefs open the second half by driving 86 yards and Mike Garrett's 2nd. TD pushes the lead to 28-3! Then Hadl is again intercepted, this time by Willie Lanier who scores on a 75-yard runback behind excellent blocking, bringing the score to 35-3. By the end of the third quarter John incredibly has thrown his 6th interception, tying an AFL record! Hadl sits out the entire 4th quarter, while the Chiefs continue to score on a safety and FG making the final score 40-3 Kansas City!
(The Bills and Bengals each ended their season last week, so this final week has only four games)
- Oilers vs Patriots in The Astrodome - After a series of mistakes and fumbles, Don Trull hits Jim Beirne with a 10-yd TD pass and Houston goes on top 7-0. Larry Carwell intercepts Tom Sherman and takes the return 41 yards. Ordell Braase scores from the 1-YD line and Oilers now lead 14-0. Pats get on the board with a Sherman to Aaron Marsh TD pass (14-7). Later Trull tosses his second TD pass to Beirne for a 21-7 lead at halftime. A Boston 3rd. qtr. FG and TD pass to Jim Whalen adds 10 more and Pats now trail by only 4 (21-17 Oilers). But now Oilers pour on the points: first a 12-yd TD run by Braase, then a 17-yd pass to Woody Campbell who then scores on a 1-yd run. Ken Houston intercepts Sherman at the Boston 20 and scores to make the final 45-17 for Oilers.
- Jets vs Dolphins in the Orange Bowl - New York's defense holds young Dolphins to only 137 yds rushing all day. Meanwhile Joe Namath's long pass to Bake Turner sets up 6-yd TD run by Matt Snell and Jets take early 7-0 lead. Jim Turner hits a 49-yd FG upping the score to 10-0. These points give Turner 145 for the season, third highest in pro football history! By the middle of the 2nd. qtr., Emerson Boozer's 1-yd TD run brings the score to 17-0 Jets. John Bramlett's fumble recovery and 14-yd run sets up a 1-yd run by Larry Csonka and the Dolphins get their first points before the half. Babe Parilli is the Jets QB for the second half and two passes to Bake Turner, then a 3 yd TD pass to Pete Lammons brings the score to 24-7. The day's Dolphin starting QB Rick Norton is replaced by Kim Hammond in the 3rd. quarter, but the change doesn't help Miami. Bill Mathis scores the final TD of the day and the Jet's look ready for the AFL Championship game soon to be played at home in Shea Stadium vs either the Chiefs or Raiders.
- Chiefs vs Broncos at Mile High Stadium - A Willie Lanier interception and a fumble recovery by Caesar Belser lead to a pair of Jan Stenerud FG's as KC takes early lead, 6-0. Len Dawson's bomb to Otis Taylor ups the lead to 13-0 and a 4-yd TD run by Mike Garrett gives the Chiefs a 20-0 margin. Buck Buchanan's interception sets up another Stenerud FG and the score becomes 23-0 before the Broncos can score. But they finally do on a 13-yd TD pass, Briscoe to Billy Van Heusen for the only Denver points of the day. Scoring ends after Dawson hands off to Wendell Hayes for a 3-yd run finishing off the last drive as Kansas City wins, 30-7.
- Raiders vs Chargers at San Diego Stadium - The Raiders' rookie sensation Charlie Smith fumbled on Oakland's first play from scrimmage and San Diego turned it into a quick FG, drawing first blood, 3-0. But then the Chargers also fumble and the Raiders turn that into a 28-yd FG to tie the score. When Jacque MacKinnon scores on a 62-yard play early in the second quarter the Chargers lead 10-3. A TD pass to Fred Biletnikoff with less than 30 seconds left in the first half ties the score at 10-10. However San Diego takes the lead just before halftime on a Dennis Partee FG and Oakland is behind, 13-10. The second half would be one of the most exciting of the year. Rodger Bird steals a Hadl pass and scores to put Oakland in the lead for the first time in the game, 17-13. A 50-yd bomb from Lamonica to Warren Wells ups Oakland's lead to 24-13. San Diego executes two drives late in the third qtr. Both fall short of a touchdown, but both result in FG's and the Chargers are now only behind 24-19 heading into the final quarter. Once again, Oakland seems to pull away as a bomb to Charley Smith puts the Raiders ahead 31-19. And then San Diego fumbles the kickoff, but at least limits the Raiders to a FG with the score now, 34-19. The Raiders hold the Chargers on the next series and the Chargers punt. But the ball is fumbled on the Raider 22 and is fought for all the way over the goal line with Ken Dyer holding on to it for a TD! Now, if the Chargers can score a two-point conversion here, another Charger TD could tie the game! They go for it, a Hadl to Lance Alworth pass, and Alworth hauls it in for two points and the score is now 34-27! The Chargers get the ball back with only a minute to play. A pass to Willie Frazier takes the ball to mid-field. On 4th and 12 Hadl is forced to scramble and gains the 12 yards needed, along with another scramble to get out of bounds and dragging a Raider five yards to do it! Then heartbreak. The Chargers are called for clipping and now it's 4th and 27 with 30 seconds left. Watch the Raiders then break up the last Charger play of the season in a thrilling, unforgettable AFL regular season-ending game!
To get your own 76-minute DVD covering the last three weeks of the '68 AFL season, send only $29.95 plus $3.50 shipping (Illinois residents must add $2.30 state sales tax) to:
"RARE SPORTSFILMS NET"
1126 Tennyson Lane
Naperville, Illinois 60540
Call (630) 527-8890 to order!